There is an obsession/attachment to things and brands in today's culture. All my tools so far has been PC based. Because thats what worked out for me. I think for an independent musician or filmmaker, PCs provide a very low budget platform to 'get it done'.
I have had some of my friends ask me why I never used Mac products. I started tinkering with Music and Video software back in 1999. Honestly, I wasn't impressed by what was available in the Macs for my needs at that time. The price was another factor. Macs have come a long way around. At this point, I believe I have as many options on the Mac as much I have on a PC. Except that I can't afford them.
I recently built a Quad core system with 4GB RAM, 2 DVI port video card and 2 500GB SATA drives for under $600. To get something similar on a Mac will cost me about $3000. Its true that it comes with a lot of perks. Still, with that left over money, I can get more gear or make a new short film or music video.
I have gone through an array of music software. Cool Edit pro, Cakewalk, Cubase, Reason, Protools and another array of Software synths. My latest projects are on pro tools. If something better comes along, I'll switch. There is no love affair here.
I have to admit that its incredibly cool to walk around with a Mac Book pro than a 10 pound Dell Inspiron. But to me, its cooler to post my next music video on you tube and entertain thousands. To do that, I'll put up with anything.
So the moral of this blog is: Get the tools that fits you not what makes you look good - except for things that are specifically meant to make you look good.
( AlbumKanmani.com )
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment