Monday, November 5, 2007

Kunnimanikal Video. A brief history

The work on the Kunnimanikal video started over a year and a half ago. Thats a long time!. But what it was then and what it is now are two different things. My first experiments with video started there. The first story was about 2 people. A man and a woman who had no connection. They are just going through their lives sad with nostalgia. Quite an insipid storyline. But some people did like it. I was not happy about it. I had a colleague of mine and another girl act for the whole thing. Balu and I spent a lot of time on this thing. Soon I realized that the girl's role wasn't working. People were confused by the relationship. Splitting the story lines was not working. So I canned that part. Then I went to India and shot scenes with a kid. I had everything to make the video but.. I wanted something more significant.

I then started toying with an idea about coordinating with people around the world making a single video. That was in the works and then got thrown out.

Finally, during this vacation when I went to finalize Kanmani, I shot Kunnimanikal again. This one has a good story line and some excellent actors. Not the glamourous looking kind but with everyday people.

Its about friendship and childhood nostalgia. Shot in the rainy season, the visuals will bring a lot of memories to anyone that watches it. The editing has started. 5 days of shooting. about 5 hours of video. Now I have to cut it to a 5 minute song. Stay tuned. This is probably the first Malayalam music video to be shot and edited in HD.

No comments: