This one started as a song about Amma aka Mother. I wrote some lines but they were all kind of too soapy and corny. Plus the tune was very difficult to write to. I struggled with this song for a very long time and then realized that I was not going to be able to complete it with this theme. And thus it changed.. Like my friend Rajan puts it, Amma song became Kamini song.This song talks of a love that was lost to fate. And the hero waits for his girl for ever dedicating his whole life to her. I like this song. Its is simple. It also has a little classical touch. The range required for this song also was high. (B thru G# in the next octave) . Obviously Madhu Balakrishnan was my choice.
This was the last song that I orchestrated. When Madhu sang it, all I had was a simple background track with shruthi and beats. More than other songs in the album this one has a very obvious climax. It was supposed to be a mix of various male allapanam. I recorded the whole thing with Madhu. I do not think that I was really prepared because in the end I wasn't happy with the mix.
I am perfectionist. Its a good trait for an artist. Its also his bane because none of his creations are ever completed. I tried a different approach and composed another aalapanam for the female track and sent a temp track to Arthi. She agreed to do it. The aalapanam at the end of the song is not as easy as it looks. If you can sing, try singing it. Its quite tough. It may have taken about 3 hours before Arthi could perfect it but it turned out beautiful. When the album is out, you'll see it.
Now the question is why did I post this entry along with that image. Honestly, there is no answer. It was taken when we went to Lake Tahoe to shoot the music video with Franco.
No comments:
Post a Comment